Ajana Records gives us a brilliant compilation of peace, love and psychedelics. Mastered by Tim Schuldt him self, it is for sure that we are about to step in to a magical journey. A journey of splitting colours, and peace at mind.
Various – A Magical Journey
(Ajana Records – AJACD001)
01. Capsula – World Of Information (07:43)
02. Ovnimoon – Jabarei (06:34)
03. Dejan – Error (06:48)
04. Derango – An Ancient Tale (07:41)
05. Terra Nine – Axiom (The Omm Squad In Dub Mix) (08:20)
06. Kukan Dub Lagan – Psychedelic Child (07:52)
07. Cell – Asian Morning (07:53)
08. Electrypnose – Perce Oreille (06:25)
09. Psyfactor – Realiens (07:40)
10. Capsula – Crown Ethers (08:44)
1. We start off this “Magical Journey” with samples from a beautiful speech by Terrence McKenna about the information in language, and the cosmos. We all love Terrence, so it’s nice to get this as a intro to a chilled compilation. Capsula breaks in with a chilled down funky beat. It’s a playful beat, with pleasant trippy sounds, and a melody which can be compared with the sun hitting your face. After a few minutes and Terrence’s second part of the speech, Capsula makes the track go a bit more Reggae like. This is truly a nice track with a big heart and a strong mind. I just cant wait to check out Capsula’s full album release in the future!
2. Ovnimoon’s track on this compilation is a mystical one. He uses samples from a praying man, and some children who kick-starts the wonderful beat which leads into fresh but heavy feelings of bliss. The sounds are slow, but fast. Trippy and pleasant. It contains magical strings to magical sounds. this is more the track that lets the tripper think, and to just “be”. It’s simple, pure and I love it!
3. Dejan – Now this is another feeling. This is a brilliant track by Dejan from France, named “Error”. This track has some of the best “dark” feelings on this compilation. It might just as well be used as a soundtrack for a dark “spy” game.
As you listen to it, it reviles you a feeling of walking down a dark and somewhat creepy hallway. It’s all just so interesting and fascinating. Great track!
4. Derango. How can one not love the psychedelic masterpieces of Derango? This Swedish act has made some of the most trippiest tracks I’ve heard in a long time. And for me personally, this is the first chilled track I’ve heard of Derango. And I am not dissepointed, not at all! Derango gives us a magical and strange world. It’s dark, but lightens up after a few minutes and shows us signs of beautiful sunlight in a dark Swedish forest. Beautiful work by Jens & Ola! Absolutely amazing!
5. Ah yes! This is spiritual. this is what the sleeve of the compilation indicates. The track begins in a spirit world, and glides in to a world of bliss, peace, love and harmony of childishness. A world where beauty is the ruler. A world where time stops, and where orgasms . .. hrmm… Well, it’s a fantastic track! Listen and see how time stops around you. Terra Nine really knows how to make you fall deep inside his world of mysticism.
6. Now I do love and adore Kukan Dub Lagan’s brilliant and cheerful debut album, “Life is nice”. It’s been proven to me on many mushroom trips that their album is a masterpiece. But this track lacks something, or maybe it just has a wrong beat to pleasure my trip? Over a few listens it grows on me. It’s not as their debut, but it’s still kukan’s sound 100%. Good track, but it doesn’t fit this compilations flow and beauty. Is it no more then a popular name filler?
7. Cell’s debut album, Phonic Peace showed the world how good, spiritual and psychedelic chill should sound. On this compilation Alexandre give us a true “magical Journey” track. Woaw!! is the word spelled out of my mouth as the track builds up in the most beautiful way. And then, a soft, soft landing, and a pure psychedelic up rise to perfection. Lights are changing as if life it self is giving birth, and the child must be
8. Electrypnose. Now have you heard his debut mp3 album “Brain Stretching” released on ResonantEarth.com? …No? Go to the link and download some of it, because this man from where geniuses like Albert and others has emerged, is him self a true psychedelic music genius. If you don’t like crazy psychedelic trance tracks, you might not fancy his faster bpm releases. But this track is pure bliss people! And a perfect follow up after Cell’s magical contribution. this is one of the most angelic and psychedelic track I’ve ever heard. Recommended!!
9. Wrong transition from Electrypnose’s bliss of a track. But this is a beautiful track. Chaotic in it’s innocent and amateurishness. (“This is a thought I had before I knew it was Psyfactors contribution.”) Now I didn’t love Psyfactor’s debut album, “Evil Inside”, but neither did I hate it. But I liked it as a pure dance floor filler album, nothing more. But this track is somewhat better, especially the atmosphere. But it’s not completely psychedelic. There’s just to many “random” sound drops. It doesn’t impress me much. But I do love the beat work. I miss something… It’s kind of to stressing to be included on this release. And being a track after Electrypnose – Perce Oreille track. Well, it fades away in grey light.
10. Yes here we go! Psychedelic “noises”. Oh, and what a nice, nice baseline! Capsula really covers the air with psychedelic elements on this “outro” track to a near perfect psy-chilled compilation. But the feeling of the track is somehow a tad wrong? Terrible ending to a great track, but great for DJ’s who want to end a chilled session to start a fast bpm session.
I really enjoy owning this album. It’s been in my CD-Player for many months. And it has helped me through trips, flips and hip’s =) .. My conclusion must be that it’s a great chilled compilation with many fantastic psychedelic tracks. But I also feel that the sleeve picture gives me the wrong impression. because it indicates that this is a eastern and spiritual compilation, which it’s not. Except contributions like Cell and Terra Nine. The title of this album is “A Magical Journey”, and I agree with all of my heart. It’s a compilation with great tracks and over all a fantastic feeling. But I feel that the person who compiled this compilation, didn’t really do a great job. Some of the tracks are just wrong for this album. And the order of the tracks could be nicely rearranged to make it sound more like “one”.
But are you searching for a mind blowing, peaceful and very psychedelic compilation, I say go and order it at once. Because I’ve had many enjoyable moments with this compilation, and I’m sure you will to. Recommended!
V/A – Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records)
From the deep forests and mountains of Norway, we are presented with a new quality compilation from a brand new Norwegian label named ‘Chill Tribe Records’. ‘C T R’ is a label based in Oslo, Norway. It’s the proud creation of the known reviewer (www.trance.net), music-collector and chill DJ, PKS (Per Kristian Slagsvold). This virgin release of PKS, has since the track listing was announced been highly anticipated. And no wonder. PKS has really used all of his best connections to compile a much respected compilation filled with great names like Cell, Shulman, ISHq and Elysium. Let the relaxation begin…
Title: Quality Relaxation
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Chill Tribe Records (Norway)
Cat. #: CTRCD01
Date: 27 June 2005
01. 06’54” Entheogenic – Walk On Air
02. 07’38” Elysium – Fairytale
03. 07’02” Shulman – The Unexpected Visitor (CBL Carbonator Rmx)
04. 09’56” Ishq – En Soph
05. 08’11” Jaïa – Missing
06. 09’15” Cell – Secret Wedding
07. 06’53” PhasePhour – Unpronounced Numbers
08. 09’30” Elysium vs. Space Cat – Dub Connection
09. 06’40” Altitudes – Altitude 1
10. 06’49” Blue Planet Corporation – Wild City
1. As we find our self in peace, walking to a bright light of fresh air we will hear whispers of secret angels. They know something that we don’t know, what do they know? ‘Entheogenic’ opens this ChillOut album with his masterpiece of a fresh dub track. This is really a beautiful floating downbeat track with electronic dub influences. The track continues with soothing African voices and a crystal sharp synth. Back to the whispers and we walk away, knowing something that we didn’t know that we knew. It’s from a different world.
2. In a fast mood change, we enter the new world of Elysium’s tribal vision. Hypnotizing drums lead us into ‘Fairytale’ while voices talk. Elysium is a living legend of our Goa scene, and it’s very interesting to see which musical turn Mr.
Thinning is taking. I like his new chilled tribal style; it’s pleasantly soothing and peaceful. This is a track that hungers for good speakers with massive base because the baseline effect is pretty nice and trippy. Oh, and this track has the sweetest synth I’ve heard in a long time. Brilliant track by Elysium! It’s almost as I can see Elysium’s soul throe the track. It seems like a very personal piece of art. One of nicest contribution represented on this compilation, so I’m looking forward of hearing more chilled out quality releases from Elysium.
3. Shulman, one of the best psychedelic ChillOut producers of our time presents to us his track ‘The Unexpected Visitor’ from the praised album “in Search Of a Meaningful Moment”. The track is remixed by ‘Carbon Based Lifeforms’ who is a proclaimed skilled musician. This release should get people on their tip-toes. CBL is a small but respected star within the ambient scene throughout the world. CBL gives us a very floating ambient mix with a nice beat and baseline. Kind of dub influenced, but not completely .. *Putting on the original Shulman track* .. I personally like the original track better, but of course both tracks are beautiful psychedelic masterpieces. Great track!
4. ISHq. One cannot help but to feel deep respect for this legendary psymbient producer. ISHq produces some of the best modern ambient tunes, and this track is no exception! This time PKS serves us a brilliant and innocent track by ISHq. It’s magical and pure as a new born child. Brilliant! ISHq is planning to release around 12 albums. If this is true or not, I don’t know, but people can’t wait to get a hold of them all and I can understand why. Great dreamy beat less ambient.
5. Jaïa starts off with ambient floating feelings until it turns over to a more progressive downbeat ambient track with some beats here and there. It’s a space ambient track until the trance strings kick in. Deep baselines makes the rooms pulsate while colors change in vivid forms. Angels hymns a protective tune. This is a track full of wisdom and motherly vibes. One can also feel sadness of missing someone special. Who, what or where is up to the listener. It’s an emotional track from the heart. To be honest this release sounds very much like a chill/ambient mix of a random late 90th Euro-Trance track. Not a minus at all. Excellent emotional track!
6. Cell gives a wonderful uprising track. Cell is French, and Cell is one of the most respected spiritual ChillOut producers out there. In the beginning of 2005 Cell released his spiritual album ‘Phonic Peace’. If you liked that album you’re going to love this track. Pure bliss and one can feel magic happening while listening to this track. No words, just listen!
7. It’s time to wake up a little bit now. I’m listening to a Norwegian compilation, the Record Label is Norwegian, the compiler (PKS) himself is a Norwegian bloke, and me the reviewer the same. What’s missing? Yes, a Norwegian track! PhasePhour gives us a nice synth play, sugar cute but firm and trippy melodies. This is to me a very similar track to their album ‘…Boiing & Zipp’ only in slow motion, and it works! The track ends with an amazing jazz drum which concludes a magnificent downbeat track by PhasePhour. Just so you know, PhasePhour’s music is best viewed in the fourth phase, he he.
8. Yet another track by Elysium, but this time in collaboration with the Israeli producer Space Cat. The track ‘Dub Connection’ is the brother of their release on the compilation ‘Life Is…’, ‘Liquid Dub Connection’. These two tracks are both beautifully made, but it’s not completely my cup of tea. I really do enjoy ‘Liquid dub Connection’, but this release seems a tad boring in my ears. Elysium delivers us on this compilation a very strong track, maybe one of the best on this album. But in collaboration with Space Cat he delivers also one of the weakest tracks. The track on “Life Is…” suits me better.
9. Wide, awake! … Each time I listen to this compilation, this track just wakes me up! If I’m in my bed at night sleeping while listening to this compilation, this track. Yes, wakes me up! The first 5 times I heard this track, I got goose bumps of the intro voice, telling me to be wide awake. Altitudes, a Co-operation between the legends Jaïa and Blue Planet Corporation (Impressive CoOp btw.) gives us the compilations trippiest track. It blends in many elements from different genres. And it works out well! It’s playfully serious and psychedelic in the more playful trippy term. It’s a beautiful track, impressive and magical.
10. Last but not least, we have Blue Planet Corporation and the track Wild City. This track really impresses me in its professionalism, production and experimentalism. It’s more leftfielders than the rest with great downbeat drums and mood. Some café feelings, but that’s ok because this track is good, and it’s a nice way to finish off a superb compilation.
Overall.. I’ve had this release for one month before I wrote this review just to be really sure about my feelings towards it. And I must say that it was a vice decision. At first listen I couldn’t really see anything special about it except good line-up and a lot of unreleased tracks. But after experiencing it in multiple levels of mood and fantasy, I feel now that this is a release that I can give all of my recommendations on. All the tracks are beautiful and relaxing, there are no bad tracks on it at all. One might feel that the order of the tracks are wrong, but once you listen to it well and try to feel the emotion changes happening each time PKS takes a turn, it makes sense. I’m really glad it isn’t the ,,normal” start slow, finish strong sets. This is more of an adventure as it is a quality relaxation. The compilation itself is also perfect for DJ’s and people who likes to have an album filled with remarkable chilled tracks. I would like to check out one of PKS’s chill sets with mixing and such because I know his taste and choices will secure me a pleasant trip. Also a very nice detail about the release is the booklet with a picture of an ice glacier. PKS has done the booklet in a very personal and nice way adding his own comments to each track and the cover art is simple yet beautiful since it reflex this release in a sensible way. This is not just a great compilation, it’s a quality compilation. I’m not a nationalistic person, but right now, I’m very proud to be Norwegian! Recommended!
Total Score: 7.82 / 10 ~ Favourite Tracks: 2, 5(!), 6(!!), 9(!!), 10
Where to buy and other links:
Chill Tribe Records: http://www.chilltriberecords.com/